Except for chopping bottle guard nothing is difficult in making this amazing curry. I get very good bottle guard here and this curry is almost in table for once a week.
I have tried making this with Moong dal too. But I find the curry made in channa dal is much tastier, so sharing that version.
It can be made with almost very few ingredients.
– 1 medium sized bottle guard peeled
-4 tbs of channa dal
-1/2 tsp turmeric powder
-salt to taste
– 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
-3 cloves of garlic
-1 small sized ginger
-1 tbs cumin
-4 green chillies
– Few curry leaves
1. Chop bottle guard in small cubes and soak in lukewarm water for 10 minutes.
2. In a pan take chopped bottle guard and channa dal. Add enough water to soak all the ingredients and let it boil.
3. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt to taste while it boils.
4. Once it boil add the coconut paste and continue boiling.
5. Switch off the flame once cooked till the raw smell of the paste goes off.
6. You can add more water if you want the consistency to be little watery.
7. For tadka- 1 ts sesame oil, mustard seeds and split urad dal. Add this to cooked gravy.
Things which could go wrong:
1. If boiling bottle guard and dal in cooker make sure to switch it off in 2 whistles. Over cooked vegetable lends soggy curry.
This is as easier as it gets. Happy cooking !